Thursday, August 2, 2012

'Jesus, Mary and Joseph"

That was my Mom's favorite exclamation, probably inherited from my paternal Grandfather, John Regan.  Mom usually called on the Holy Family when she was driving the car:  'Jesus, Mary and Joseph, that idiot nearly hit me"  or "Jesus Mary and Joseph.  Who gave him a driver's license"?  After my Grandfather died, and Mom was driving my Dad up to his florist shop, ( I was in the back seat) she invoked the Holy Family, and Dad said " Your Father will never be dead as long as you are behind the wheel of a car".  Mom replied in her most regal tones " I consider that a compliment".

But my favorite Invocation of The Holy Family occurred in St. Martin, in the winter of 1974.  We rented two rooms in a beachfront Hotel--one for Parents, the other for us children.  After a day at the beach, we went back to the hotel to change for dinner.  Cathy and I, being younger, finished changing first and  returned to our Parents' room for soda and snacks.  We got a floor show that night.

Mom had the idea of hanging her shift dress on the balcony to air it out.  She was getting dressed, while we sipped our Cokes, and suddenly shouted " Jesus Mary and Joseph.  Bob, it's on me; get it off".  Cathy and I didn't know what 'it' was--we were doubled over laughing.  When we got our breath back, I saw there was a small Gecko lizard on her arm.  Mom was shouting 'ooh-ooh, while Dad, biting on his lips, was saying 'it's all right; it's OK.  Finally, Dad caught the lizard, and went to throw it outside.  Mom called after him "don't hurt it, Bob, just get rid of it".  


No comments:

Post a Comment