Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sense and Sensibility

When I look at my childhood, and my life with Mom, I realize Mom had more sensibility than sense.  Part of this can be attributed to my maternal Grandma.  Grandma was a Lady of English/Irish ancestry, and she raised her daughters ( Aunt Lucille and Mom) to be Irish American Ladies.  Due to her education, Mom became a combination of Princess Grace and Gracie Allen.  No amount of lady like training could eradicate her zany streak.  Sometimes, her gentility bordered on eccentricity.

Take 'The Case of the Missing Doorknob"  When I was 10 or 11, Mom took me to see a local cardiologist who lived in an old, slightly shabby house.  ( I had open heart surgery in 1962, and went for an annual check up).  It was a normal visit until we left.  Mom turned to close the front door, and the door handle came off in her hand.  I began laughing so hard, my eyes watered.  Mom hissed at me 'be quiet.  Suppose he hears you and comes outside??"  So I stifled my laughter, and we slunk away from the house.

After dinner that night, Mom told Dad what happened, saying " Bob, I really think I should offer to replace  the doorknob".  Dad asked ' what did he charge for the visit?" so Mom got the bill from her handbag.  Dad carefully read the bill, raised one eyebrow ( his typical reaction to Mom 's outbursts ) and said 'he can afford to replace it himself".  Mom burst out laughing.  I think they had a good relationship, because Dad and Mom knew how to make each other laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment